8/28/2010

Don't turn Obama into a Ken Doll

I'm so angered when politicians offer news bytes that are so carefully worded that they mean nothing at all. The politicians we elect to represent our views are marketed until they are smiley, plastic Ken and Barbie dolls waving at the camera. Democracy is about bringing different perspectives and views to Washington, not cleaning up all public commentary until it's meaningless.

Sarah Palin speaks all the time without following the rules, and I love it. For the first time, a female governor is representing what I believe on the national stage. I loved her pro-life speech and the photo with her speaking while holding her newest child. She may not say it "right," and she may "turn off potential voters," but that's not the point. She's not an pretty action figure on the toy shelf. She's representing me.

So often the media tried to redefine her. Any ridicule by the media of her clothes, accent, or intelligence, made so much static that the reasonable arguments she was making on my behalf were not communicated clearly to the general public. Thus my own free speech was severely limited. But I do wish she would return to politics and speak for me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment