People don't frown at my little flock of kids in the grocery store. Usually they smile. Like yesterday. A man sitting in a motorized shopping cart with a bandage over his face watched and listened to the noisy communications of four kids tossing items on the conveyer belt, bagging, asking for candy, and pressing the button to move the groceries along. It was happy, productive chatter, and they seemed excited even though they have done this once a week, every week, for their entire little lives.
The commotion reminded the gentleman of visits from his five grandchildren. He said he likes the noise, but only for a few days. And I could see from his smile that my noisy, bumpy kids amused him as he simultaneously anticipated and dreaded the next big visit.
Sometimes articles and blogs have a defensive tone. Do I live in a pretty bubble where people are generally positive about mothering and homeschooling? It must be the conservative, California valley. Most people I meet seem to envy me and wish they could homeschool, too. On Tuesday, the neurologist who met with Isaiah regarding his brain injury said he was pleased that I was homeschooling so that I could monitor his academic progress and behavior. That was clearly a positive comment from an Oakland professional.
I don't think there is any need to be so defensive by looking for and publishing negative comments people make. Possibly, those who have family members that ridicule them for their parenting choices are super sensitive and see more people scowling than I do. And possibly, cities like Berkely have more defined battle lines. But why do bloggers have to be on the defensive and make it look like a war?
I want to read more stories about how our country is beginning to embrace and even highly regard the choice many mothers are making to stay home during the toddler years and the choice parents make to homeschool.
No comments:
Post a Comment